From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] opemtmpfiles masking
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 15:36:31
1 All,
2
3 I'm sure everyone has seen the news item and the masking of
4 opentmpfiles.
5
6 The tl;dr is that I do not see a future for opentmpfiles as it currently
7 stands and I don't see a particular need for another fork.
8
9 systemd-tmpfiles is small (a single binary and two man pages), and it is the
10 reference implementation. The only issue I'm aware of with it is on
11 selinux (but we can fix that in our selinux policies; it is not a bug in
12 systemd-tmpfiles).
13
14 I think that systemd-tmpfiles is the better choice at this point than
15 attempting to keep opentmpfiles going. Opentmpfiles is based on a fork
16 that was being used in archlinux before they switched to systemd. As far
17 as I know, Gentoo is the only distro using this, so moving to
18 systemd-tmpfiles is fine with me.
19
20 William