From: Ben Kohler <bkohler@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Feature Request: making thirdpartymirrors easier to manage
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 15:14:59
1 On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Alex Xu <alex_y_xu@×××××.ca> wrote:
4 > Eww. Geographically-close files should be made available through
5 > GENTOO_MIRRORS and the regular distfiles system.
8 I think you may be missing the point of this proposal, or are unaware of
9 how profiles/thirdpartymirrors and SRC_URI="mirror://.." work.
10
11 Readability and maintanence issues aside (which themselves are huge), the
12 current setup with a list of literally hundreds of geographically-random
13 mirrors for one source, is quite often doing a disservice to our users.
14 Most of the very large upstream mirror list sources are already sorted
15 geographically, it would be great to take advantage of this.
16
17 And to me, it seems like the proposed thirdpartymirrors/mirrorname/<Region>
18 setup seems quite elegant. I'm sure it would be optional and mirror lists
19 that can't take advantage of this would just use a flat file at
20 thirdpartymirrors/mirrorname.
21
22 -Ben