From: Mikko Moilanen <mikko.moilanen@×××××××××××××××××××.fi>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:51:55
1 On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 22:51:51 +0100
2 Peter Ruskin <aoyu93@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sunday 22 Sep 2002 22:34, Mikko Moilanen wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 11:55:13 -0400
6 > >
7 > > This is now catastrophic for me. Long going dream cutting apart. But
8 > > coming back to reality is _good_. *NO BACKDOORS* please.. you
9 > > gentoo-dev.
10 >
11 > I'll have some of what you're smoking
12
13 Maybe some clarification is needed here.
14
15 Long going dream was faith that Gentoo is best in all ways. Now it's gone. By saying "no backdoors" I mean that there currently is backdoor for Gentoo-dev or Gentoo inc.? Accepting "some other" license in which Gentoo could depend on, there is backdoor for an situation like:
16
17 "Hey! we got an OS here. Lets start making some serious profit now."
18
19 And then uuups, you have to pay if you want emerge something (eg. RedHat and update). How can this happen? I dont know. All I know that everything is possible when pictures of money are mirroring from eyes of one. There is too big possibility for this kind of situation if there is things like "some other" license. Also there is room for too closed development if Gentoo can depend on some opensource but not freely modified code. There only will be too much things that was my main reason to swich OS. Fu?k, I am way too paranoid.
20
21 If my posts are beginning to annoy too much folk there, just email, and I'll stop this. I dont wanna disturb. I just want OS for my life. I hope it will be Gentoo.
24 Mikko