From: Paul <set@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] libfoo-0.0 incompatible with libfoo-1.0
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 20:46:06
1 Hi;
2
3 libsndfile has a version 0.x and a version 1.x, and they
4 are incompatible. (ie. you cannot build against something
5 written against 0.x with the 1.x header file, and vice versa.) I
6 grep'd and found only one thing that currently uses libsndfile
7 (faac) and it needs 0.x . I want to include an ebuild that
8 requires 1.x .
9 The shared libraries can co-exist, but the single header file
10 and static libraries currently do not.
11 I am asking what policy should be in this case--
12 eg. if I tried to have stuff like a
13 /usr/include/libsndfile[01]/sndfile.h nothing would be aware of
14 that convention....
15
16 Thanks;
17 Paul