From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] News Item: Changes in default VIDEO_CARDS
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 15:22:56
1 x11 team plans to change the default VIDEO_CARDS on amd64/x86 per bug
2 #561850.
3 Due to the USE dependencies of Display-If-Installed, this item will only
4 be displayed on amd64 and x86 systems that have not overridden
5 VIDEO_CARDS in make.conf. Other architectures will retain their
6 VIDEO_CARDS and we will leave it to the respective arch teams to adjust
7 this as desired.
8
9 The previous time I wanted to post a news item with USE dependencies,
10 this was not possible because the Display-If-Installed dependency atom
11 had to conform to EAPI 0. But now that all profiles are EAPI 5 this is
12 ok I hope.
13
14 Title: Changes in default VIDEO_CARDS
15 Author: Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o>
16 Content-Type: text/plain
17 Posted: 2015-10-30
18 Revision: 1
19 News-Item-Format: 1.0
20 Display-If-Installed:
21 x11-base/xorg-drivers[video_cards_dummy,video_cards_fbdev,video_cards_glint,video_cards_intel,video_cards_mach64,video_cards_mga,video_cards_nouveau,video_cards_nv,video_cards_r128,video_cards_radeon,video_cards_savage,video_cards_tdfx,video_cards_trident,video_cards_v4l,video_cards_vesa,video_cards_via,video_cards_vmware]
22
23 In order to better reflect the graphics chipsets present on modern
24 systems, the default VIDEO_CARDS setting has been changed to
25 "amdgpu fbdev intel nouveau radeon radeonsi vesa"
26
27 If your graphics chipset requires a different driver, and you have not set
28 VIDEO_CARDS in make.conf, it is advisable to do that now.