From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC]: Proxy-maintainer project
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:00:43
1 On 03/18/2010 04:34 PM, Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > Recruitment being the bottleneck that it is (with candidates
3 > waiting many months), it is good to have another option
4 > for people who want to contribute.
5
6 If we do have a list of people waiting to get in, could we maybe publish
7 this list somewhere, or instruct these people to look for
8 maintainer-wanted bugs and offer their services as proxy-maintainers?
9 Can we have some way of communicating that one of these almost-devs has
10 written some ebuilds so that devs can work with them to get them committed?
11
12 This would get them a head-start and will give them VERY practical
13 instruction. For the devs that work with them they'll know that they're
14 working with somebody with a long-term interest. I'm not sure that we
15 want a policy that states that when the recruits become devs that they
16 will maintain these packages long-term, but it would be nice if they did so.
17
18 Perhaps the devs could also provide feedback to the recruiters on the
19 recruit's strong/weak points so that they could work on these. (NOTE -
20 I'm not suggesting marking people for exclusion here - if somebody is
21 fairly raw we want to work with them, but it doesn't hurt for the
22 recruiters to know about that up-front.)
23
24 I realized that some of these ideas are still half-baked, but I'm
25 wondering if there isn't an opportunity here.
26
27 Rich