From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC]: Proxy-maintainer project
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:00:43
On 03/18/2010 04:34 PM, Ben de Groot wrote:
> Recruitment being the bottleneck that it is (with candidates > waiting many months), it is good to have another option > for people who want to contribute.
If we do have a list of people waiting to get in, could we maybe publish this list somewhere, or instruct these people to look for maintainer-wanted bugs and offer their services as proxy-maintainers? Can we have some way of communicating that one of these almost-devs has written some ebuilds so that devs can work with them to get them committed? This would get them a head-start and will give them VERY practical instruction. For the devs that work with them they'll know that they're working with somebody with a long-term interest. I'm not sure that we want a policy that states that when the recruits become devs that they will maintain these packages long-term, but it would be nice if they did so. Perhaps the devs could also provide feedback to the recruiters on the recruit's strong/weak points so that they could work on these. (NOTE - I'm not suggesting marking people for exclusion here - if somebody is fairly raw we want to work with them, but it doesn't hurt for the recruiters to know about that up-front.) I realized that some of these ideas are still half-baked, but I'm wondering if there isn't an opportunity here. Rich