From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Cc: bsd@g.o, amd64-fbsd@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] amd64-fbsd profiles are now 'dev' profiles
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 17:20:58
1 Hi all,
2
3 As I was the one wanting amd64-fbsd profiles 'stable' to ensure a sane
4 deptree, and seeing the number of (re)keywording bugs growing and
5 growing while I don't have time to process them and no-one else is doing
6 it, I just switched them to 'dev' state.
7
8 For users, this means they can no longer expect packages to have a
9 correct dependency tree with ~amd64-fbsd keywords: packages can now
10 have missing optional, or even mandatory, deps making them
11 uninstallable in some cases.
12
13 For developers, this means broken dependencies for amd64-fbsd changed
14 from a repoman error to an optional warning; meaning that in most cases
15 developers won't even notice their package has broken deps on this arch.
16
17 While I don't think there is any general rule, what I would recommend
18 is the following:
19 - If you have a package whose amd64-fbsd keywords have been dropped
20 between version N and N+1, keep version N in tree as long as it does
21 not annoy you, then drop it.
22 - If you introduce a new version that would create a broken deptree
23 (and run repoman -d to notice it), keep ~amd64-fbsd keywords if the
24 missing dep is optional, drop keywords otherwise.
25 - Since, from my experience, most developers will not even notice
26 broken deps on amd64-fbsd, filling (re)keywording bugs for amd64-fbsd
27 is optional. Anyone wanting to restore its "stable" state will have
28 to run a full check on the entire tree anyway.
29
30 If anyone is interested in taking over the arch and restoring its
31 "stable" status, you are very welcome, but for now it is just
32 annoying more and more fellow developers in this state.
33
34 Best regards,
35
36 Alexis.