From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New eshowkw
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 22:13:51
1 On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 18:13:25 +0200
2 Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 26-10-2010 17:39:04 +0200, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
5 > > So since I would like to have this script replace current eshowkw
6 > > one I want to ask you for kind help on that script and review it
7 > > and suggest improvements.
8
9 Great work!
10
11 > I think you should implement some means of selecting which archs you
12 > want to plot. Preferably through some config file thing. I'd think
13 > of specifying per arch, and or using predefined sets, e.g. to remove
14 > all prefix arches, since they spoil any output with huge unreadable
15 > matrices.
16
17 +1.
18
19 In fact my adapted version of the /old/ eshowkw already filters
20 everything after the line '^# Prefix keywords$' in profiles/arch.list,
21 simply because the entire bunch arch.list entries makes the output
22 broader than what happens to be my default $COLUMNS of 87, which breaks
23 the layout, and because I hardly ever need to know about the prefix
24 keywording.
25
26 Alternatively to arch.list, the script might be capable of parsing
27 profiles.desc in order to establish which arches can go stable, by
28 using information from the first and third columns, as well as getting
29 the best option out of the third column, so 'stable' for an arch which
30 also has 'dev' or 'exp' profiles. That could be used below.
31
32 > Have you ever played with rotating the view? Some keywords are
33 > awfully long, like sparc64-solaris. Most versions are shorter.
34 > In case the number of versions is small, you could even have the
35 > versions in columnar style (e.g. not vertical, just a column spanning
36 > a couple of chars), such that it is much better readable.
37
38 +1.
39
40 > Maybe consider a raw, tab, csv alike output format, for easy parsing
41 > by other scripts? Could perhaps handy to render it alternatively as
42 > xml, latex, etc.
43
44 +1.
45
46 Combined with the arch masking option, this could easily show a package
47 maintainer which arches to call on a stabilisation request. All too
48 often an arch is forgotten or needlessly added, when a script parsing
49 arch.list/profiles.desc could easily sort it out and even print a list
50 of arch@g.o aliases.
53 jer