From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-servers/axis -> commercial dependencies
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 23:21:47
1 * William L. Thomson Jr. <wltjr@g.o> schrieb:
2
3 Hi,
4
5 > > Great :)
6 > > It was really, really ugly getting tomcat emerge'd w/ all this
7 > > commercial crap :(
8 >
9 > Blame upstream for using them. Granted the are somewhat optional
10 > more on that below.
11
12 Well, they told me, I won't need them ... who the hell's right ?
13
14 > > I had some talks w/ tomcat folks
15 >
16 > Where? Who? Just curious.
17
18 users@×××××××××××××.org
19
20 > There are ant download targets for most of the deps, we just
21 > bypass. So it's not like the deps come from no where in a normal
22 > build from source.
23
24 In other words: tomcat ships lots of bundled third-party packages,
25 while gentoo takes them from the upstream ?
26
27 But then I wonder: if the tomcat folks can simply bundle them in,
28 why does gentoo has to suffer from these download restrictions ?
29
30 > > - they were some bit confused
31 > > about the huge dependencies @gentoo and suggested using some
32 > > of their (monolithic) packages instead.
33 >
34 > I have tried to slim it down, but dropping certain deps to seem to
35 > change things that are activated or not within Tomcat. For example
36 > there seems to be some issues with the java5 USE flag. Either that,
37 > or some of the dropped deps when that flag is used is effecting the
38 > resulting catalina.jar. Who knows what other jars would be effected
39 > by dropping other deps.
40
41 hmm, we should do some deeper investigations @ dev@tomcat ...
42
43 <snip>
44
45 > Now consider this for a moment. Upstream is likely using binaries
46 > to build their binary version of Tomcat ;) So it's not like they
47 > are compiling all the stuff they are using to build Tomcat from
48 > source. Before they compile and ship Tomcat. We do it all from
49 > source. :) Which can explain extended deps right there.
50
51 Oh hell ...
52
53 <snip>
54
55 > The only thing I can say about the whole situation is they are working
56 > on releasing Tomcat 6.0.x in the next month or two. Tomcat 6.0.x has way
57 > less deps, and it's much clearer that the ones it has are needed. No
58 > core optional, or optional stuff. I might see about unmasking and
59 > versioning either alpha/beta the ebuild despite sources not being
60 > tagged :( So people can test it out and hopefully help get it released
61 > ASAP.
62 >
63 > As for 5.5.x, it's not clear if there will be further releases from
64 > upstream. It's got lots of legacy code and likely deps.
65
66 Okay, since I'm not using it in production yet, I'll try the masked 6.0.6.
67
68 BTW:
69
70 What does the jni useflag actually do ? Switch between java and native
71 implementation of certain things (SSL, and what else?) ?
72
73 And it seems that ecj is used instead of the default java compiler.
74 Can't jikes be used instead of ecj (IMHO, should be faster) ?
77 cu
78 --
80 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
82 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
83 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
84 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
85 http://patches.metux.de/
87 --
88 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list