From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Review: USE=libav news item
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:15:58
1 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Title: USE=libav introduction
3 > Author: Micha?? G??rny <mgorny@g.o>
4
5 Your mailer doesn't set charset for the .txt attachment.
6
7 > Content-Type: text/plain
8 > Posted: 2015-01-yy
9 > Revision: 1
10 > News-Item-Format: 1.0
11 > Display-If-Installed: media-video/ffmpeg
12 > Display-If-Installed: media-video/libav
13 >
14 > The support for automatic choice between ffmpeg and libav is going to be
15 > deprecated in favor of explicit choice via USE flags. This change aims
16 > to solve multiple repeating issues, including Portage undesirably
17 > wanting to replace one package with the other, subslot upgrade issues
18 > and some of the hard-to-understand blocker issues.
19 >
20 > The current USE=ffmpeg will maintain its role of enabling optional
21 > support for ffmpeg or a compatible implementation (libav) in a package.
22 > However, whenever appropriate additional USE=libav will be introduced to
23 > control the preference of libav over ffmpeg.
24 >
25 > Users who currently use libav (the Gentoo default) do not have to
26 > perform any action since USE=libav is enabled by default. It should be
27 > noted that those users will need to enable USE=ffmpeg on packages with
28 > optional libav support as well.
29
30 So far so good.
31
32 > Users who want to use the ffmpeg fork instead need to specify USE=-libav
33 > explicitly.
34
35 "the ffmpeg fork" above is very confusing because libav is the ffmpeg
36 fork, and I think what you mean here is simply "ffmpeg". I suggest:
37
38 Users who want to use ffmpeg rather than libav where that is possible
39 instead need to specify USE=-libav explicitly.
42 > Please also note that some packages support only one of the two
43 > implementations. An attempt to install one of those packages will result
44 > in blockers unless the user changes the global USE=libav state.
45
46 This isn't completely accurate.. It's enough to change USE=libav for
47 the affected packages. I'm afraid I can't offer a wording suggestion
48 on this one. :\
51 //Peter