From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [Survey || RFC] autotools-utils.eclass
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 00:16:59
1 On Thursday 03 of June 2010 01:32:09 Nathan Phillip Brink wrote:
2 > On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 03:29:01PM +0200, Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 26 of May 2010 19:27:43 Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > > > On Wednesday 26 May 2010 05:38:00 Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
5 > > > > I've updated documentation, added example usage and option to keep
6 > > > > libtool files (ltdl.so supposedly needs those as I was told, no idea
7 > > > > what for).
8 >
9 > IMO, ltdl.so is probably just being silly. Perhaps these files contain
10 > information that is useful on non-Linux systems for dlopen()ing
11 > plugins.
12 >
13 > > > more applicable to us w/Linux is that static linking with libtool needs
14 > > > them. the AUTOTOOLS_KEEP_LA_FILES seems kind of spurious considering
15 > > > current tree behavior and assumption of gnu-capable linking systems.
16 > >
17 > > It is spurious when we forget about run-time dynamic linking (plugins) in
18 > > some apps.
19 > > libtool loader (ltdl.so) needs .la files unfortunately. One example -
20 > > imagemagick - removing .la files for coders makes 'convert' unable to
21 > > locate them (silly, but hey...).
22 >
23 > This case can be caught by checking if the .la file has the following in
24 > it: ``
25 > # Should we warn about portability when linking against -modules?
26 > shouldnotlink=yes
27 > ''
28
29 Excellent. Eclass updated, see attachment. AUTOTOOLS_KEEP_LA_FILES option
30 removed. Now removing .la files relies only on shouldnotlink value (and
31 static-libs presence in IUSE that is).
32
33 > Removing .la files which are useless on a given system would be very
34 > nice. It would be even more useful if unused .a files could be swept
35 > away at the same time :-).
36
37 They are - just add static-libs to IUSE and disable said USE flag when
38 emerging.
39
40 I've also had an idea to be smarter and to look for patches (PATCHES array)
41 updating any .m4, Makefile.{ac,in}, configure.{ac.in} files and to run
42 eautoreconf automatically in ${eclass}_src_prepare but I've decided it's a bit
43 too much. I may rethink the idea later though.
44
45 If there are no objections nor further comments, I'd like to unleash new
46 eclass for public consumption within a few days.
47
48 Real-world example ebuild attached, also there's more extensive (but purely
49 academic) example in eclass itself.
52 regards
53 MM

autotools-utils.eclass text/plain