From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [Survey || RFC] autotools-utils.eclass
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 00:16:59
On Thursday 03 of June 2010 01:32:09 Nathan Phillip Brink wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 03:29:01PM +0200, Maciej Mrozowski wrote: > > On Wednesday 26 of May 2010 19:27:43 Mike Frysinger wrote: > > > On Wednesday 26 May 2010 05:38:00 Maciej Mrozowski wrote: > > > > I've updated documentation, added example usage and option to keep > > > > libtool files (ltdl.so supposedly needs those as I was told, no idea > > > > what for). > > IMO, ltdl.so is probably just being silly. Perhaps these files contain > information that is useful on non-Linux systems for dlopen()ing > plugins. > > > > more applicable to us w/Linux is that static linking with libtool needs > > > them. the AUTOTOOLS_KEEP_LA_FILES seems kind of spurious considering > > > current tree behavior and assumption of gnu-capable linking systems. > > > > It is spurious when we forget about run-time dynamic linking (plugins) in > > some apps. > > libtool loader (ltdl.so) needs .la files unfortunately. One example - > > imagemagick - removing .la files for coders makes 'convert' unable to > > locate them (silly, but hey...). > > This case can be caught by checking if the .la file has the following in > it: `` > # Should we warn about portability when linking against -modules? > shouldnotlink=yes > ''
Excellent. Eclass updated, see attachment. AUTOTOOLS_KEEP_LA_FILES option removed. Now removing .la files relies only on shouldnotlink value (and static-libs presence in IUSE that is).
> Removing .la files which are useless on a given system would be very > nice. It would be even more useful if unused .a files could be swept > away at the same time :-).
They are - just add static-libs to IUSE and disable said USE flag when emerging. I've also had an idea to be smarter and to look for patches (PATCHES array) updating any .m4, Makefile.{ac,in}, configure.{ac.in} files and to run eautoreconf automatically in ${eclass}_src_prepare but I've decided it's a bit too much. I may rethink the idea later though. If there are no objections nor further comments, I'd like to unleash new eclass for public consumption within a few days. Real-world example ebuild attached, also there's more extensive (but purely academic) example in eclass itself. -- regards MM

autotools-utils.eclass text/plain
plib-1.8.5-r1.ebuild text/plain