From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Over using preserve_old_lib, don't do that
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 18:10:01
On Friday, July 02, 2010 01:51:25 Samuli Suominen wrote:
> I've recently stumbled upon several packages unnecessarily using old > preserve_old_lib feature from eutils.eclass, namely: > > libgnomekbd > libproxy > > And then users hit issues like this: > > > > Please only use the preserve_old_lib function in case of breaking: > - or the library is so widely used that revdep-rebuilding the system > would be nearly impossible without having the old lib around since > revdep-rebuild (emerge) can't get the emerge ordering right (because of > overlinking and lack of asneeded by default, namely jpeg and png comes > into mind)
i dont know how critical libgnomekbd is to the general running of GNOME, but if all GNOME apps break because of it, then that is a valid use case. upgrading a library that the whole desktop env cascades upon should not result in the inability to log in (i.e. being forced to work in a Linux console shell to recover things). that bug report looks to me like the user not reading the output where they have to delete the file themselves. -mike