From: Grant Goodyear <grant@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion for new dependency syntax
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:44:16
1 > What data are you using for the "Conflicts are rare" statement?
2 > Using
3 > http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/binary-i386/Packages
4 > I get:
5 >
6 > [jnelson@agamemnon jnelson]$ grep "Package: " Packages | wc -l
8 > [jnelson@agamemnon jnelson]$ grep "Conflicts: " Packages | wc -l
10 > [jnelson@agamemnon jnelson]$ grep "Replaces: " Packages | wc -l
12 > [jnelson@agamemnon jnelson]$ grep "Provides: " Packages | wc -l
15 Admittedly, my data was apocryphal. I've seen very few complaints
16 about conflicting packages on either #gentoo or gentoo-dev. The
17 example you gave was a package conflicting with a previous version of
18 itself, which strikes me as being a bit artificial, but you may well
19 have a good point. *Shrug* I'll go back to being agnostic on the
20 issue.
21
22 -g2boojum-
23 --
25 | Grant Goodyear | The Secrets of Physics: |
26 | Dept. of Chemistry - Clemson U |1. Add zero. |
27 | Clemson, SC 29634 |2. Multiply by one. |
28 |-------------------------------------|3. Expand in a Taylor series|
29 |e-mail: goodyea@×××××××.edu |4. Integrate by parts. |
30 |www:bernacchi.chem.uh.edu/~grant |5. Fourier transform. |
31 | |6. Add auxiliary variables |