From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Review request: Ruby 2.0 removal news item
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 19:12:30
1 On Sun, 2016-12-04 at 00:21 -0800, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2
3 > 1. Do users need to know about MRI? I had to search the Web to figure
4 > out that it's referring to Matz's Ruby Interpreter (or CRuby), which
5 > is
6 > the reference implementation. This information (if important) may be
7 > useful to include, like "Ruby MRI (Matz's Ruby Interpreter) 2.1 ...".
8
9 It is perhaps not so useful anymore since we no longer have other ruby
10 implementations, like jruby, in the tree.
11
12 > Ruby MRI (Matz's Ruby Interpreter) 2.0 was retired by upstream in
13 > February 2016. [1] Following this, Ruby MRI 2.0 support will be
14 > removed
15 > from Gentoo in favor of Ruby MRI 2.1. We recommend updating to the
16 > 'ruby21' target as soon as possible.
17
18 Thanks, I've used this, but left the "in favor of" part out since
19 ruby21 is already default (with ruby20) in the profiles for some time.
20
21 > I felt that the base profile variable mention and the bit about MRI
22 > being the best interpreter were better left out, but it also doesn't
23 > actively hurt it.
24
25 Yes, I guess this is common knowledge now. I used the ruby19 news items
26 as a template, but that was 1.5 years ago.
27
28 Hans