From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New eshowkw
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:59:04
1 On 17:39 Tue 26 Oct , Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
2 > Hello guys,
3 > I took last few days to rewrite our eshowkw script from bash to python
4 > and enhance its functionality.
5 >
6 > Not all of you are aware of this usefull script from gentoolkit-dev
7 > package, so let me introduce it:
8 > It is script that shows keywords for package and all its versions in
9 > nice table for easy review. If you take look on the output_gcc.log
10 > attachment it shows what it prints out for our gcc package.
11 >
12 > It checks out all versions, identify installed and masked packages,
13 > separate it by slots and detect redundant versions that could be in
14 > theory removed.
15 >
16 > So since I would like to have this script replace current eshowkw one I
17 > want to ask you for kind help on that script and review it and suggest
18 > improvements.
19 >
20 > If the script lack some feature you really want to use also let me know,
21 > maybe it wont be too hard to implement.
22
23 Very cool!
24
25 There is one major regression from the previous implementation: it is
26 twice as slow, at least on my system. You might want to try some
27 profiling to track this down.
28
29 In addition, I suspect that printing during the ebuild-processing phase
30 (so printing starts earlier) as the previous implementation does would
31 give the impression of speed.
34 Thanks,
35 Donnie
36