From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rlogin & telnet
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:08:49
1 On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 03:47, Taras wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2002-01-20 at 15:33, Aron Griffis wrote:
3 > > Hello Developers,
4 > >
5 > > I'm planning to add xinetd snippets for rlogind and telnetd into the
6 > > netkit ebuilds. These will install into /etc/xinetd.d, similar to the
7 > > snippets which already install there. This seems appropriate to me for
8 > > a couple reasons:
9 > >
10 > > (1) xinetd has external connections disabled by default in
11 > > /etc/xinetd.conf. Therefore this addition doesn't open up security
12 > > holes by default. The system administrator still needs to change
13 > > /etc/xinetd.conf (or the appropriate snippet) to allow network
14 > > connections to these daemons.
15 > >
16 > > (2) xinetd is further disabled by default since it requires the
17 > > administrator to inentionally "rc-update add xinetd default".
18 > >
19 > > (3) Considering the protection inherent in the system provided by the
20 > > policies in (1) and (2), it seems amiss to not supply working
21 > > snippets in /etc/xinetd.d for these daemons. Additionally,
22 > > netkit-rsh and netkit-telnet don't install by default, so I think
23 > > all the bases are covered.
24 > >
25 > > I'll make these changes in the next 24 hours or so unless there is
26 > > a reasonable objection.
27 > >
28 > > Aron
29 > I would not like that. Since some of us may modify xinetd.conf to run
30 > public services and having telnet/stuff added could come as a surprise.
31 > How about adding them as comments, so if one wants them, all that needs
32 > to be done is uncommenting of a few lines.
33
34 I have no problem with Aron's idea, except that you can
35 disable the snippes themselfs by default.
36
37 Underneath is a rsync example:
38 ------------------cut here------------------------
39 service rsync
40 {
41 disable = yes
42 socket_type = stream
43 wait = no
44 user = root
45 server = /usr/bin/rsync
46 server_args = --daemon
47 log_on_failure += USERID
48 }
49 ------------------cut here-------------------------
50
51 Thus, even if external connections is not disabled in
52 /etc/xinetd.conf, the snipped will be disabled by default,
53 and the administrator will just have to change:
54
55 disable = yes
56
57 to:
58
59 disable = no
60
61 for each snippet to enable them.
62
63 This will be much more convenient that writhing your own
64 snippets.
67 Greetings,
71 Martin Schlemmer
72 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
73 Cape Town, South Africa