From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please follow keywording policy
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:37:42
1 > Ok, I could understand that none of the mips team are online when I
2 > want, but how about the bug mentioned above? One month I
3 > waited/begged/threat!!! For what? For some lousy script updates, which
4 > is not arch dependent anyway!
5
6 There are lots of open bugs, sometimes they slip under the radar. And
7 *never* assume scripts are arch independant. See more below...
8
9 > Not every package that I maintain is tested by me! How can I test a dsl
10 > driver when I have no such device!
11
12 Do you have somebody in your herd test it that does have such a device?
13 If not, you shouldn't be maintaining it.
14
15 > I apply the good old rule that if a package has no open bugs for a
16 > month, it will be marked as stable.
17
18 This if fine if you can vouch that it works. None of us could say
19 rp-pppoe works. What is more, just because it works on x86 doesn't mean
20 there aren't problems with other arches. Even things like
21 perl/python/<insert favorite scripting language here> scripts are
22 included in this statement. If I remember correctly, ciaran even ran
23 into a non-portable vim script at one point.
24
25 That said, since you are the package maintainer, you should be
26 practically the world's expert on this package. You should know if
27 there are potential endian problems. You should be talking to upstream
28 to find these sorts of things out. If you have full confidence that it
29 should be stable on our arch, mark it stable. Seeing as you see fit to
30 break policy and mark your dsl driver package stable even though you
31 can't test it, then how is this any different? Keep in mind that I'm
32 pretty sure there are developer machines available for (almost) every
33 arch now. Package maintainers should use this resource for testing
34 purposes.
35
36 > If I would do things you way, in this moment net-dialup would have at
37 > least 100 opened bugs with no one carrying about them. I urge you to
38 > look in bugzilla to see how many rightfully complaints are there
39 > regarding my work. Not as if I consider less about a dev who made a
40 > mistake (only who do nothing, does no mistakes)...
41
42 You are missing the point.
43
44 > It is OK to want to make more than a simple compile test, but from this
45 > to doing nothing when a fellow dev ask you to IS a big distance! A
46 > convenient excuse, nothing more...
47
48 Convenient excuse for what? Do you think we singled you out and said,
49 "hey, I don't like that mrness...we're just going to ignore his package" ?
50
51 > I didn't wanted to get so involved in this bug, but invalid bug reports
52 > started by the transition from -r2 are killing me. In rest, what do I
53 > care that your arch is outdated!
54
55 I don't quite see what the big deal is anyway. When I looked, the last
56 stable version of that package was from last november or so. If we were
57 a year out of date or something, that might be a different story. We do
58 have a script that emails all of the mips team with outdated packages
59 from time to time, however we have a shortage of devs and time, so
60 non-crucial stuff that none of the mips team uses like rp-pppoe
61 typically gets pushed back.
62
63 Steve
68 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list