From: Joseph Booker <joe@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Time-and-bandwidth-saving script
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 20:29:59
1 Timo Lindemann said:
2 > Daniel Armyr wrote:
3 >> Hm, I see a feature to this script coming that would alow one to exclude
4 >> everything except the new packages one wants to install.
5 > Well, you have to emerge sync anyway to install anything new, as you
6 > probably do not have updated ebuilds for deps either. Dont really see
7 > your point.
8
9 you would not be able to upgrade any package that required more packages
10 then it currently does
11
12 >> On the other hand, there is risk of serious breakage if the tree has
13 >> changed much.
14 > Well... the tree hasnt changed in a way this dangerous ever since. What
15 > would a change look like and break only users with this script? I think
16 > all without would be screwed up just as well :-)
17
18 the change from net-mail/evolution to mail-client/evolution will make
19 portage think that evolution is gone and will 1. warn you about it being
20 in the world file when it shouldn't be 2. never update it
21
22 It just isn't worth it, if you would like to save bandwith, the only
23 advise i can give is to emerge sync everyother day, to decrease what rsync
24 has to do at once
28 Joe Booker
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list