From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Agenda [WAS: One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for June]
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:57:15
1 On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:53:02 +0200
2 Patrick Lauer <bugs@××××××××××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > You didn't notice the large warning telling you not to use Portage
4 > > config files?
5 > >
6 > I did. But how else can I compare things or move back to portage if I
7 > don't like it?
8
9 You can set up a Paludis config. It's nice and easy.
10
11 > > We do what PMS requires regarding handling of inline comments
12 > > (which is the same as what some EAPI 0 accepting Portage versions
13 > > do, so PMS can't allow inline comments), and indicate an error
14 > > (rather than writing junk, as older Portage did) when inline
15 > > comments are used.
16 > So you say the thing you wrote excludes things you don't like so you
17 > can claim things by referencing it as authoritative.
18 >
19 > Does anyone else think that maybe there's a slight conflict of
20 > interest there?
21 >
22 > I hope that PMS, as it stands now, does not become a standard. It is
23 > obviously very leaky and ignores issues so that you can claim PMS
24 > compatibility without being compatible to each other.
25
26 Where possible, we exclude things that break Portage. Are you
27 suggesting that we should instead ignore what EAPI-0-supporting Portage
28 does and does not handle and just document things the way we'd like
29 them to be?
32 Ciaran McCreesh