From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 6 portage is out!
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 11:05:36
1 >>>>> On Wed, 18 Nov 2015, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
2
3 > On 18/11/15 08:25, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >> - If you mix stable and unstable then you are by definition an
5 >> advanced user, who will be able to cope with the situation. :)
6 > This attitude is shitty, and I am willing to wager a really big
7 > bunch of users fall into this category.
8
9 Only that there is no real difference to the existing situation when
10 mixing stable and unstable. It is not guaranteed that all dependencies
11 of an unstable package are stable, so already now users may have to
12 accept the ~ keyword for dependencies in some cases. Similarly, such
13 users may have to accept EAPI 6 for some dependencies, which implies
14 that they install a package manager supporting EAPI 6.
15
16 > I don't think EAPI 6 is *that* shiny, that we need to start using it
17 > prior to stable Portage supporting it.
18
19 And on what basis would you stabilise Portage, when there are no
20 ebuilds in the tree to test its EAPI 6 code?
21
22 > It's a potential mess for a huge portion of our users.
23
24 If we had followed this argument in the past, we would be at EAPI 0
25 still.
26
27 Ulrich