From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>, Alin Nastac <mrness@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 12:45:48
1 On Friday 28 April 2006 21:20, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > Ryan Phillips wrote: [Fri Apr 28 2006, 01:57:30PM CDT]
3 >
4 > > I disagree. The developers should make *all* the decisions.
5 >
6 > Originally, Gentoo was effectively a meritocracy. It's now, in some
7 > respects, a republic. If you want a democracy, feel free to draft a
8 > new "metastructure" proposal (feel free to name it something less
9 > awkward), and drum up support to get it voted upon.
10 >
11 > > Bypass the council. The council should be there only for when we get
12 > > sued, and manage the money we make.
13 >
14 > For what it's worth, the Council does neither of those things. That's
15 > what the Gentoo Foundation is for.
16 >
17 > > Does anyone agree that having a council is too political? I strongly
18 > > believe it stifles gentoo.
19 >
20 > Do you have some specific examples of how you've seen the Council
21 > stifle Gentoo, or is it mainly just a general impression?
24 I generally agree with you. I've not seen the council stifle anything
25 (except that it perhaps could have encouraged more). Any stifling is more
26 because the large amount of inertia caused by the big amount of
27 developers.
28
29 As for abolishing the quiz, I'm strongly opposed to that. The quiz is a
30 hurdle that is there for a reason. Partly it shows determination. It also
31 filters out those people who don't know when they don't know something.
32 We have developer documentation for a reason. The quiz ensures that
33 everyone knows that we have it.
34
35 Paul
38 Paul de Vrieze