From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FYI: Rules for distro-friendly packages
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 20:16:16
1 * Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> schrieb:
2 > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 21:46:39 +0200
3 > Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
4 > > BTW: if upstream has an proper VCS and an canonical tagging
5 > > scheme, they don't actually have to create release tarballs,
6 > > just hack up a little script which creates them on-the-fly
7 > > from an canonical URL scheme (eg. oss-qm does exactly that).
8 >
9 > Down that path lies madness. There's no guarantee that you'll get the
10 > same tarball if you request the same URL twice in a row, particularly
11 > if you're using one of those new-fangled new compression schemes.
12
13 Well, with git this works. (I'll yet have to run some automatic
14 stress tests, but at all my manual tests worked really fine).
15 *If* this might not work somewhere, the little generator script
16 could create the tarball only once (on first request) and use
17 it all the time. Or add some commit/push hook, etc, etc.
20 cu
21 --
23 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
25 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
26 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
27 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
28 http://patches.metux.de/