From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Parsable list of all use variables.
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 18:58:13
1 On Fri, 10 May 2002, Bob Phan wrote:
2
3 > As I said, I've already looked at it. And the format would be fine if
4 > it was actually enforced. Here are some outliars that I have found.
5 >
6 > trusted
7 >
8 > No dash, no description, not even a blank one. Therefor, you cannot
9 > tokenize based on dashes, since it is not gauranteed. Then you would
10 > think, why not tokenize based on newlines? Here's another one from
11 > that file.
12 >
13 > voodoo3 - Adds support for 3Dfx's Voodoo3 video chipset, else
14 > defaults to Voodoo4/5 support if not in USE
15 >
16 > That eliminates being able to tokenize based on newlines. Basically
17 > use.desc is really only useful for users. My suggestion would be to
18 > either clean this file up to conform to some form of guideline, or to
19 > make a mirror copy (ie _not_ to remove but to add in addition to) an
20 > XML file with the same information.
21
22 This regex handles those cases:
23
24 ^([a-z0-9]+)[ \t]+-.*
25
26 > I've already written a script that can mine out all optional use
27 > statements. Adding the functionality to dynamically go backwards
28 > through the dependancy tree would be trivial.
29 >
30 > I just wanted to get a sense from all of you out there as to what you
31 > would vote for as a better standard for keeping a separate list with
32 > this information, which I or anyone can maintain. It would be really
33 > useful for a few scripts I've been meaning to write, such as a GTK+
34 > based auto USE var generator. And a "what options are available to me
35 > in this ebuild before I install it" script. I'm also sure others
36 > would find some use for such information to be stored in a more usable
37 > format.
38
39 I used to think the format should be changed. If the use.desc file is
40 supposed to be only machine-readable, it certainly should be changed.
41
42 However, if users are supposed to read that file as well, we should not
43 change it, as it is currently easy enough to parse and extremely easy
44 to read.
45
46 There are currently 255 out of 2959 ebuilds that use undocumented use
47 flags. These use flags will have to be moved into use.desc.
48
49 There has been discussion of an IUSE var for each ebuild, that lists the
50 use flags that an ebuild can avail itself of. This would ease up the task
51 of collectiong these options. In the meantime, the regex
52
53 [^#]*use ([a-z0-9]+).*
54
55 does the trick.