From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GPL and Source code providing
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 21:25:08
1 On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 21:48 +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 28 June 2006 17:42, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 > >> This is a common misconception. All that you really need to provide is
5 > >> the patches.
6 > > Not really, no. As Ciaran already said, FSF seems not to think this way and
7 > > this is the most important thing on that article.
8
9 Apparently, I was mistaken on how this works.
10
11 Anyway, who is going to re-write our mirroring scripts so that we aren't
12 stripping stuff anymore? After all, we're still "shipping" 1.2 ISO
13 images under /historical, and I can guarantee you that the source code
14 for all of this stuff isn't available from us. Good examples of this
15 are packages that no longer merge due to missing distfiles when using a
16 release's portage snapshot instead of a current tree. This happens
17 every release, so I know that we aren't keeping all of this stuff.
18
19 We will need to work on compliance ourselves with this, before the FSF
20 comes knocking on our door.
23 Chris Gianelloni
24 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
25 x86 Architecture Team