From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Sorry about the DateTime fiasco
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:20:10
1 Protocol doesn't demand it - but human decency sure as heck does. I just
2 wanted to apologize to everyone for my erroneous commit to the 1Q-2006
3 file yesterday.
4
5 The boring background is that some upstream cpan authors use a numbering
6 scheme that makes sense in a decimal fashion, where .29001 is less
7 than .30 (expand the 0's, yada yada yada, ask your kid sibling about
8 math at school today), but portage expects that numbering scheme to
9 actually be a version identifier (so to speak, its the gist I'm going
10 for here, don't flame me on the technicalities of how portage reads a
11 version number). dev-perl/DateTime came out with a .2901 release, which
12 I put in the tree as such many a moon ago (about 1.4 moons ago to be
13 exact), and recently .30 came out. Because of the math business I just
14 mentioned, .30 would never get picked up by anyone since (dropping the
15 decimal point) 2901 > 30. I 'moved' .2901 to .29.01 to make this work
16 better. All was good.
17
18 Then I had this brilliant idea - use the quarterly file to help people
19 migrate that number, no bizarre downgrades when the emerge world. 'cept
20 move in the quarterly isn't for moving a version, its for moving between
21 categories, package names, etc., and as such I made a mistake.
22
23 No need to respond to this message (i'd prefer it if you didn't actually
24 - between the 'stuff happens' and the 'your an idiot, revoke that bad
25 boys right to a keyboard' messages, i think it would all even out).
26
27 ~mcummings