From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: bircoph@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Becoming a Gentoo developer?
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 09:11:04
1 On 04/17/2015 04:33 PM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 14:50:00 +0200 hasufell wrote:
3 >>>> If you have followed the recent discussions about gentoos organizational
4 >>>> structure, review workflow and overlay situation you would know that
5 >>>> there is a pretty simple solution for this problem.
6 >>>
7 >>> I have followed them and I have seen no solution usable in real
8 >>> world.
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> The solution is that for example the ruby project assigns a few
12 >> reviewers (e.g. project lead) and if someone wants to bump ruby
13 >> packages, he submits a pull request and the assignee is going to be the
14 >> ruby project. What's the problem?
15 >
16 > The problem is double effort: previously one developer effort was
17 > needed, now effort is doubled at least: reviewers must dig into
18 > details how submitted code works, test it and only then commit. Now
19 > remember that reviewers are also developers. This means that pull
20 > requests will hang for weeks, months, forever due to a lack of time.
21 > On top of all this thinks about maintainer-needed packages or
22 > packages that can't be categorised into some single project, e.g.
23 > *-misc categories.
26 Not really. The depth of reviews will depend on
27 a) what package/subsystem is it? Is it just an end-user app, is it a
28 library, is it toolchain...?
29 b) who sent the pull request? Was it a random user or a developer I
30 trust? In the latter case I might just check that repoman doesn't choke
31 and pull the stuff in.
32
33 Currently... some gentoo projects who enforce strict reviews have very
34 poor workflow. Because bugzilla is completely useless for reviews,
35 people end up doing IRC reviews. IRC is not a proper review platform
36 either, especially not for drive-by contributions or people who don't
37 have time to read 500 lines of scrollback or whatever.
38
39 >> Do you think the usb-subsystem maintainer of the kernel is going to
40 >> fiddle with the cryptography subsystem all by himself? That's not the
41 >> case. And that's why the linux kernel workflow works: competence,
42 >> subsystems and trust.
43 >
44 > As I pointed above comparision of Gentoo with Linux kernel is
45 > invalid. We have different resources. Another argument that
46 > connectivity between subsystems is much higher in the Linux kernel.
49 It is perfectly valid. It is a huge system just like gentoo. The
50 workflow in detail might differ, but in the end we deliver a system that
51 should be coherent and work. We have little to no QA on that and our
52 workflow is one of the fundamental things that need to be fixed if we
53 want that to change.
54
55 If people say they don't care about it, that's fine. But then I'm not
56 sure what we need a QA team for, except for running repoman on the tree.
57 Unfortunately, repoman cannot tell you if an ebuild wipes your hard
58 drive in pkg_postinst.
59
60 >> All that is done in real world. And there are tons of tools to automated
61 >> such a workflow easily without dumping everything to a single mailing list.
62 >
63 > Reviews cannot be automated. A human being is still needed to read,
64 > understand and test proposed code. All tools like pull requests and
65 > so automate only a small bit of real work.
68 You misread. I said the WORKFLOW can be automated. There are tools to do
69 that. Neither bugzilla, nor CVS is one of them. We have enough google
70 employees here in gentoo, who should be fairly familiar with these things.
71
72 >> Global reviews will only happen when stuff is actually of global
73 >> importance, like non-trivial eclass changes or far-reaching technical
74 >> decisions.
75 >
76 > We already have that with gentoo-dev mail list. And I'm happy with
77 > current solution. If you can't handle patchset from e-mails, learn
78 > houw to use tools, e.g. quilt.
81 You misread again. I didn't say we lack a tool for global reviews. I
82 said that ebuild reviews must not happen randomly on a single mailing
83 list. That would be chaos.
84
85 >> Other distros successfully use such workflows.
86 >
87 > Other distros are binary based.
88
89 Last I checked exherbo is source based and has USE flags.