From: Rolf Eike Beer <eike@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving more architectures to ~arch only
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 21:40:46
1 Am Donnerstag, 14. Oktober 2021, 15:40:02 CEST schrieb Marek Szuba:
2 > Dear everyone,
3 >
4 > Following some private discussions, I feel quite strongly now that it
5 > would both considerably improve certain processes and make our use of
6 > limited manpower more efficient were we to further reduce the number of
7 > stable arches in Gentoo Linux. Specifically, I propose to drop
8 > - hppa,
9 > - sparc,
10 > to ~arch-only status.
11 >
12 > There are IMHO several good reasons for this:
13 > - we have got very few people actually supporting these arches, and in
14 > case of hppa there is also the hardware bottleneck. Subsequently,
15 > stabilisation requests often take a long time to resolve
16 > - last but by no means least, my personal experience from the last
17 > several years suggests that running ~arch is reasonably trouble-free
18 > these days
19 >
20 > WDYT?
21
22 Reducing to what I have a personal opinion about.
23
24 For quite a while I have been more or less the arch testing team for hppa and
25 sparc, the latter reduced since ago and sam meanwhile utilize even faster
26 machines to do much of the the sparc work (yay!). Running these machines is a
27 bumpy ride. Things break quite regularly, besides the arch-independent
28 breakage like missing dependencies or similar things, which I also find quite
29 regularly.
30
31 My machines should actually do some useful stuff, like running my Nagios and a
32 bunch of nightly builds (CMake, libarchive, things like that). For that, I'd
33 like to have the actual system to work. Given the amount of breakage I find
34 when doing stabilizations I suspect this is not going to happen. My fear is
35 that I'll be rebuilding stuff because there is an upgrade, and then back
36 because there was an update, and in between I have to find out what actually
37 went wrong. That's close to what I'm doing now, with the difference that the
38 main system meanwhile can do it's work because it usually is unaffected, and I
39 can decide to ignore the problem for one or another day until I'm bored enough
40 to fight the breakage again.
41
42 So from my limited PoV this would likely even increase the work that I have to
43 do, or the pressure to do it in time to fix the system up to a point where it
44 works.
45
46 We have already removed many stable packages from hppa, just to reduce the
47 amount of work. If sparc really becomes a problem I suspect that dropping most
48 of the multimedia or whatever stuff there could also reduce the amount of work
49 needed.
50
51 Another note: these machines are quite slow, especially the hppa ones, when
52 compared with a modern PC with SSD and tons of RAM. I would really _really_
53 welcome it if people could just run tatt for stabilizations on amd64 in a
54 regularly empty chroot. It finds tons of stuff with missing dependencies or
55 useflags (USE=static is always good for trouble) that I would otherwise run
56 into on the slow machines. If you fix only half of the things before it hits
57 the minor arches, which is not limited to the above list, it will greatly
58 reduce the pain for everyone with a vintage fetish.
59
60 So, do what I can't stop you from doing, but at least for me dropping hppa
61 will likely not reduce any pain, and if sparc really is a problem than
62 dropping some packages will likely do the same thing also. Oh, and maybe mark
63 some for fonts and stuff ALLARCHES ;)
64
65 Eike (aka Dakon)