From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 30: "Planet Gentoo" web log aggregator
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:00:40
1 Daniel Drake posted <417EE3D7.8010005@g.o>, excerpted below, on
2 Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:55:03 +0100:
3
4 > Daniel Drake wrote:
5 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0030.html
6 >
7 > Stuart has brought up the issue of what happens when a gentoo developer
8 > who uses a gentoo-hosted weblog leaves the project. Would it be
9 > unreasonable for us just to close and delete that log?
10 >
11 > The alternative to this is not to provide our developers with weblog
12 > hosting - instead, we'd get people to sign up for one of the many free
13 > blogging services available elsewhere.
14
15 I'd suggest the latter -- less for Gentoo to maintain and as covered
16 before, some already have blogs elsewhere. The planet is (as I understand
17 it) just a way to link all the diverse blogs together in one place,
18 altho we can (as suggested elsewhere) point to resources other than
19 the blog from it as well, and I think that's a good idea too.
20
21 Then, when a developer leaves, after some period (30 days?), their planet
22 link could be deleted. Those still following them for whatever reason
23 would have direct bookmarks, and therefore be able to continue doing so.
24
25 This would seem to be better in a couple other ways as well. Should
26 something offensive be posted and disciplinary action need to be taken,
27 removing a planet pointer is far less drastic than shutting down their
28 blog entirely. They still get their speech, Gentoo just doesn't have to
29 link to it if it's not within Gentoo policy. There's a similar benefit
30 legally. Under certain legal circumstances, Gentoo may be ordered to
31 remove the link, but what is then no longer on Gentoo's servers, they
32 aren't responsible for. (Of course, the blog provider may be ordered to
33 remove the content as well, but then, that's out of Gentoo's
34 responsibility as well, and depending on where said provider is, that may
35 not be the case.)
36
37 If desired, Gentoo could make arrangements for group hosting on some
38 provider or other, and offer that as a default for those who don't have
39 other arrangements yet and want it. However, I see no reason or need for
40 Gentoo to get into the blog hosting business directly. The planet,
41 linking blogs existing elsewhere, should be enough.
45 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
46 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
47 Benjamin Franklin
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list