From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: News Item: GnuCash 2.7+ Breaking Change
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 20:17:41
1 Kristian Fiskerstrand posted on Tue, 16 Jan 2018 15:58:11 +0100 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > On 01/16/2018 03:45 PM, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
5 >> Given the situation, we have a choice: Remove GnuCash altogether, or
6 >> press ahead with recommending a version upstream considers unstable.
7 >
8 > Or 3, discuss with upstream to see if they can release an updated
9 > version as stable branch.
10
11 This reminds me very much of the long-time stability situation with
12 grub-0.9x vs. 1.9x. Upstream insisted 0.9x was unsupported, and indeed,
13 had abandoned it, such that it was the distros carrying upstream-
14 unapproved patches, but at the same time, pre-2.0 as 1.9x was still very
15 much development-only and not ready for prime-time, according to
16 upstream. Just what were distros and users /supposed/ to do?
17
18 Both that and this gnucash thing are bad situations all around, but
19 perhaps some lessons can be had. And agreed that surely the first must
20 be to /just/ /ask/ upstream whether they can release something stable
21 that's at least based on something still getting maintenance, security
22 and otherwise. Then go from there. Maybe they'll refuse and we'll have
23 to move ahead with the new version regardless of upstream's wishes, but
24 we'll never know if we don't ask.
25
26 (Of course it can go the other way too, upstream insisting the new
27 version is stable even when it's still broken for normal users every
28 which way to Sunday. The kde3/kde4 transition is a prime example of
29 that. I honestly don't know which is worse, but the obvious ideal is a
30 sane upstream that doesn't veer to either extreme, or lacking that, at
31 least cooperates and provides support when a new at least /semi-/stable
32 release is needed as the old is just outdated and broken, security or
33 otherwise.)
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman