From: "Bruce A. Locke" <blocke@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Lilo and Reiserfs
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 13:36:51
1 On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 11:22, Rod Roark wrote:
2 > Hi, I have a couple of comments, and a question.
3 >
4 > Your reiserfs-bashing is obsolete. :-)
5
6 Oh, they finally redid their fsck tool so it didn't segfault half way
7 through and eat perfectly fine partitions? You mean the numerous
8 bugfixes making their way into the recent kernel releases had nothing to
9 do with reiserfs file corruption? :)
10
11 We used to recommend reiserfs... we stopped for a reason :(
12
13 > I've been using it
14 > for the past 5 months on a colocated server and find it to
15 > be fast, space-efficient and stable. The only stability
16 > problem I had was at the very beginning and was traced to
17 > faulty memory (reiser seems to be unforgiving of hardware
18 > problems).
19
20 I've had squid boxes where reiserfs was fine for months. I've also had
21 workstations that have died horribly... the same hardware where ext3 and
22 xfs have 0 problems... *shrug* I've personally found that under load
23 the only things reiserfs is really faster then XFS for are file
24 deletions. XFS brings to the table a stable on disk format, acls,
25 extended attributes, etc and a _working_ fsck tool.
26
27 Don't mean to turn this into an XFS vs reiserfs flamewar but just trying
28 to point out one of many reasons why we don't recommend reiserfs
29 anymore.
30
31 > Which brings me to my question. I want to use lilo, and I
32 > don't want a separate boot partition. However lilo refuses
33 > to install without /boot in fstab. How can I get around
34 > this?
35
36 Yes, the lilo ebuild currently isn't too intellegent about this issue.
37 The grub ebuild is much more intellegent about this issue but I've been
38 waiting for the eclass implementation to stabalize before having the
39 code shared between both ebuilds. Its on my todo list :/
40
41 For now edit the lilo ebuild and completely remove the pkg_setup()
42 function and it should work for you.
47 Bruce A. Locke
48 blocke@××××××.org