From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4 needs testers
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:34:21
1 On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 17:01 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Hm, I suspect it's the livecd USE flag on vim-core that's doing most of
3 > that... Built as:
4 >
5 > [ R ] =app-editors/vim-7.0_alpha20040924 -acl -cscope -debug
6 > -gpm -minimal -mzscheme +ncurses -nls -perl -python -ruby (-selinux)
7 > -tcltk -vim-with-x 0 kB [1]
8 >
9 > which includes proper terminal support, vim comes to about a meg on the
10 > system I'm on right now. With minimal turned on it comes to just over
11 > 400KBytes. vim-core built normally is about eleven megs across a
12 > thousand or so files, built with USE="livecd -nls" it's one meg and ~200
13 > files (and I could probably nuke a hundred or so of those, if you don't
14 > mind upsetting people who want to use straaange keymaps).
15 >
16 > So, if half a meg (assuming you already have ncurses) isn't too high a
17 > price for decent terminal (terminfo rather than termcap) support, you
18 > might not necessarily be best with the minimal USE flag turned on (I'm
19 > guessing catalyst still doesn't do per-package USE flags easily?).
20
21 Actually, it can use package.use just like any normal system.
22
23 I'll look into it and see what I can come up with, but it looks like
24 I'll probably end up running from now on *without* USE=minimal on the
25 LiveCD. We're already using USE="livecd -nls", so that savings was
26 definitely appreciated.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
31 Games - Developer
32 Gentoo Linux