From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Suggest to specify a way to query for USEs in next council
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 19:43:03
1 Hello
2
3 This comes from:
4 http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/dev/260536
5
6 In that one, we try to use the following:
7 has vala ${IUSE//+/} && ! use vala && return 0
8
9 as already done in many eclasses/ebuilds (some of them as widely used as
10 xorg-2 or cmake eclasses) for years. The problem is that Ciaran
11 wants to forbid it because he says it's not specified in PMS.
12
13 My suggestion is to simply specify it as it's currently implemented in
14 portage because that functionality is (apart of needed) being used for a
15 long time in the tree by numerous eclasses/ebuilds, then, from my point
16 of view, wouldn't be any sense on lose time for moving them to current
17 functionality to a worse one, wait for the next eapi and, finally,
18 revert them back to current behavior. The way it works was kindly
19 explained to me yesterday by Zac:
20 http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o/msg02830.html
21
22 If the behavior need to be changed later in a way it would break the
23 tree, we could, then, wait for next eapi to change that behavior.
24
25 Other option would be to wait for next eapi to specify that, the problem
26 is that, if that eapi take a long time to be approved, we would need to
27 move all eclasses/ebuilds to the other non-automatic way to later revert
28 them back.
29
30 And other option could be to include this specification in eapi5 as it's
31 still not allowed in the tree (maybe for this a council meeting should
32 be soon enough I guess)
33
34 Thanks a lot