From: "Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo)" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: When will KDE 3.5 be marked as stable?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 13:21:49
1 On Fri, 5 May 2006 13:20:09 +0200
2 Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Friday 05 May 2006 08:32, Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo) wrote:
5 > > If you use specific versions in the package.keywords file (i.e. do
6 > > "=category/package-version-revision ~arch" instead of
7 > > "category/package ~arch", this doesn't happen.
8 >
9 > Hardcoding specific ~arch versions or revisions unless absolutely
10 > needed is a bad idea. Remember that we don't do GLSA's for testing
11 > stuff. If bleeding edge, then bleeding edge.
12
13 I disagree. Your argument is for not using ~arch at all, rather
14 than an argument against keeping control of what you have from ~arch.
15
16 If I want something from ~arch, it's for one of two reasons:
17 1) There's a feature/fix that I need now
18 2) I want to try out a new version of something for fun
19
20 I certainly don't want to take everything from ~arch; that way leads to
21 regular system instability.
22
23 In practice, I tend to do:
24
25 =category/package-version* ~arch
26
27 so that I pick up -rN bumps on unstable versions as this should mean
28 that the maintainer considers the change necessary for users of that
29 version.
32 Kevin F. Quinn