From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new glep draft: Portage as a secondary package manager
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 01:05:01
1 On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 02:28:49PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > The problem isn't the packages. The problem is the ebuilds.
3 Agreed, although seemed to take a bit of dancing to get done to the
4 fact that yes, changing the prefix has a good chance of working.
5
6 >From there, we're back to the old two step econf/eclasses _do_ address
7 a sizable portion of ebuilds in the tree ;)
8
9 > | > Eh? No, see, we have KEYWORDS, which indicate whether you can use a
10 > | > package on a given arch.
11 > |
12 > | Dodging my point. You stated, "if we introduce it, people will expect
13 > | it to actually work". It's defeatist logic; won't try because people
14 > | might bitch if they wade into experimental territory and get bit.
15 > |
16 > | That's the point I was getting at, which you seemed to ignore/not
17 > | understand.
18 > |
19 > | Pointing out that people might try an experimental feature and hit
20 > | issues and bitch as a reason for _not_ doing something is just plain
21 > | daft.
22 >
23 > Except we have an easy way of marking which ebuilds will actually work
24 > with this thing. Why not use it? It's a hell of a lot cleaner, it gives
25 > us better feedback and it makes it easier for the users.
26 Not much for a keyword route personally, since (imo) it's a slight
27 perversion of the focus of keywords. If the keywording route was
28 taken, would need to either duplicate existing keywords (have
29 x86/~x86, and x86-weirdo-prefix ~x86-weirdo-prefix), or require two
30 specific keywords being set (x86 and weirdo-prefix from the example
31 above).
32
33 I'd suspect your metadata addition (which needs a better name then
34 ICANINSTALLTO) is the best route.
35
36 > Per-ebuild whitelisting, kind of like KEYWORDS. This has the added
37 > advantage of making it easy for additional kinds of install target to be
38 > added at some point.
39 See above (agreed).
40
41 > | So, fink demonstration of --prefix hackery?
42 >
43 > If you want a better example, try either SGI or Sun's GNU tools ports.
44 > But they don't use ebuilds either.
45 Well, main point was that the underlying packages _can_ swing this
46 type of hackery for the most part, what is needed is a tweak to our
47 ebuild conventions to allow for it.
48
49 Meanwhile, iirc from the last irc conversation on this, either you or
50 dsd brought up the point of needing to be able to query if (using vim
51 as an example) vim-core was $home, rather then usr|$PREFIX. Care to
52 elaborate a bit? Mainly wondering if to encompass your requests, it
53 might require extra metadata from the depend standpoint.
54 ~brian
55 --
56 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list