From: "vivo75@×××××.com" <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC how to handle disappearing USE in (portage) dependency calculation
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 14:19:27
1 On 06/07/13 14:37, Sergey Popov wrote:
2 > 07.06.2013 15:26, vivo75@×××××.com пишет:
3 >> Hi everybody,
4 >> sometimes a package depend from another with a particular USE flag
5 >> turned on, example llvm-3.2 on dev-libs/udis86 +pic
6 >> Sometimes a new ebuild can change IUSE, indeed udis86-1.7-r1 removed pic
7 >> use which was present in 1.7-r0.
8 >>
9 >> This RFC is to understend what we (you actually) want the packages
10 >> manager to do in this situation, as I see it there are mainly two options.
11 >>
12 >> 1) when consider the dependency _always_ satisfied, if the requested USE
13 >> is not in IUSE.
14 >> this will make user life easier, since portage now barf conflicts but
15 >> the "wrong" dependency goes unnoticed and nobody will clean the ebuilds.
16 >>
17 >> 2) error out always, both if requested USE flag should have been enabled
18 >> or not, since it's a bug and should be fixed.
19 >> emerge -uDavNt will not that easy but the tree is cleaner as a
20 >> consequence, also the developer are forced^Wencouraged to look at the
21 >> reason the USE flag disappeared analizing if their package will continue
22 >> to work.
23 >>
24 >> finally the depend in llvm ebuild has this form:
25 >> DEPEND="udis86? ( dev-libs/udis86[pic(+)] )"
26 >> and the diff between udis86 ebuilds is like this:
27 >> -IUSE="pic test"
28 >> +IUSE="test"
29 > What's the question here? How to handle this? Read about USEDEP_DEFAULTS
30 > in PMS.
31 yes "how to handle this", thanks for the pointer to USE-DEP-DEFAULTS,
32 Ciaranm you too
33 >
34 > If you see broken packages(somebody forgot to change dependency) - file
35 > a bug about it.
36 >
37 According to the now readed fine manual, the ebuilds seem to be right,
38 llvm is EAPI=5, udis86-1.7-r1 is EAPI=4 and the previous one is EAPI=3,
39 dependency should be considered enabled if absent.
40 So the bug would be in portage, but the overzealous dep resolution seem
41 to arise only with "--with-bdeps=y" so I'm not opening it a bug.