From: R Hill <deemkay@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Another call for BugVoting on bugs.gentoo.org
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:19:56
1 On 5/16/05, Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > >>On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:45:05 -0400 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
3 > >>| On Monday 16 May 2005 07:08 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > >>| > What, so that you can see which bugs a small but vocal group of
5 > >>| > ricers are interested in rather than the ones that're actually
6 > >>| > important?
7 > >>|
8 > >>| once again, voting is optional ... if you dont want to pay attention
9 > >>| to them, then dont
10 > >>
11 > I would tend to agree with Klieber when he closed the actual bug about
12 > this issue that I read through a few weeks ago. The problem with
13 > leaving it optional being users vote a bunch on bug X and then the
14 > developer says he doesn't care, and then the users bitch because 'their
15 > precious voice was ignored'.
16
17 They manage to do that pretty well already.
18
19 > Most if not all of the developers here are volunteers, and just because
20 > a bunch of users vote up a bug doesn't particularly make it important to
21 > work on.
22
23 Agreed, but it can give a good indication of the bugs that a lot of
24 users are running into. Right now that's handled by swarms of "me
25 too" posts (and last time i checked, those couldn't be filtered by
26 procmail too effectively either. ;]). Not saying those posts will
27 disappear of course, just pointing out that it might not be a creation
28 of another source of generally unwanted feedback, but a way to move
29 this already existing feedback into a less annoying form.
30
31 Mozilla is another good example of a bugzilla using a voting system
32 with positive results (and they even have windows users ;]). But they
33 also use the confirmed status and discourage 'me too' posts in favor
34 of the vote system, which is something that might not work for Gentoo.
35
36 --de.
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list