From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rfc: checking properties in ebuilds and eclasses
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 18:35:58
1 All,
2
3 I would like to start a discussion on checking the PROPERTIES value in
4 ebuilds. Specifically this could be used to check for live ebuilds
5 instead of assuming that the version number of an ebuild indicates
6 whether the ebuild is live.
7
8 The up side of this would be that we aren't reserving a specific version
9 number for live ebuilds.
10
11 The down side that is being pointed out to me right now is that
12 we would need a function like in_iuse, but called in_properties, to
13 check the properties. We would need something like this because
14 properties supports use conditionals, e.g.
15 PROPERTIES="foo? ( bar )"
16
17 I suppose another downside (and I do this, so I would have to adapt) is
18 that you couldn't really use one ebuild for a release and a live ebuild
19 at the same time any longer.A
20
21 Does anyone else have any thoughts about this?
22
23 Thanks,
24
25 William