From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions on overlays, repositories and PMS
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 19:37:59
1 On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 12:36 PM, Michael Lienhardt <
2 michael.lienhardt@×××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > I started refactoring my solver to make it more modular, to fix some
5 > details w.r.t. the PMS and to manage different repositories.
6 > I thus have several questions on how multiple repositories work in portage.
7 >
8 > 1. My understanding was that /etc/portage/repos.conf replaced the
9 > PORTDIR_OVERLAY variable, however this variable is still documented (e.g.
10 > in https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/overlay/index.html).
11 > Was my intuition right?
12 > Or in other word, it is enough to only look at /etc/portage/repos.conf?
13 > In general, an overlay is a repository, i.e., a valid tree layout for the
14 > PMS, right (as stated in https://devmanual.gentoo.org/g
15 > eneral-concepts/overlay/index.html)?
16 >
17 > 2. the PMS states that any valid repository has a profiles folder which
18 > can contain profiles and a package.mask file.
19 > - can the profiles in a repository different from DEFAULT be selected?
20 > - is the package.mask file apply only on the packages of that repository,
21 > or on every packages of every repositories listed in
22 > /etc/portage/repos.conf?
23 >
24 > 3. many repositories do not have an eclass folder, and miss many
25 > (optional) configuration files in the profiles folder (like arch.list,
26 > categories):
27 > - is such information implicitly inherited from the DEFAULT repository
28 > (even though https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/repos.conf states
29 > that it is not)?
30 > the brother overlay (https://github.com/stefan-lan
31 > genmaier/brother-overlay) does not specify any masters
32 > - when the eclass folder, profiles/arch.list and such are present, is the
33 > data from the DEFAULT repository still implicitly inherited?
34 > - when the eclass folder, profiles/arch.list and such are present, are
35 > they visible globally (i.e., a package from another repository can use a
36 > keyword of the arch.list and inherit from one of the eclass)?
37 >
38 > 4. is the "masters" attribute in /etc/portage/repos.conf make the
39 > repository inherit other data than the eclasses?
40 >
41 > 5. since every repos can have a profiles/categories file, is the file
42 > /etc/portage/categories obsolete (or should it be)?
45 My general observation is that Gentoo is not successful as an organization
46 about deprecating and removing things. One area where Gentoo has done well
47 is in EAPI and in PMS itself, with mostly-clear versioning and standards
48 and whatnot. But in general if something worked 15 years ago, it probably
49 still works today (doubly so for sys-apps/portage).
50
51 There is a different question when building a tool like yours if it is
52 worth the effort to support things that are 15 years old and are possibly
53 not used (particularly in cases where functionality was replaced). I'd
54 recommend starting with the basic implementation and adding support for the
55 'older' formats when users ask for them; but this is mostly a trade-off in
56 efforts. If your goal is to build a "100% compatible" tool then you will
57 probably need to support these edge cases.
58
59 -A
63 > Best Regards,
64 > Michael Lienhardt