From: George Shapovalov <georges@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage on dial-up connection?
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 12:31:44
1 Hi
2
3 I am using gentoo largely with a dialup connection at home (too lazy to bring
4 laptop to the lab at the times :-)). I must say, that I find gentoo the most
5 "dial-up" frendly distribution. Not that it preferes dial-up over broadband
6 of course :-), but it makes it possible to use it as dial-up only.
7
8 emerge rsync takes usually just a few minutes (after original one, which
9 would take 1-2 hrs, but you can just grub latest portage tree (tbz2 file
10 which is 4MB instead of ~20MB uncompressed) and untar it to /usr/portage).
11 It can resumae after disconnects if you emerge prozilla and modify
12 /etc/make.conf to make use of it.
13 Downloading large stuff (kernel/glibc/kde...) takes a long time, but the same
14 does its compilation. Just do it overnight. You don't have to coach this
15 process, so in the end this distro saves your time.
16 If you have broadband somwhere else, you can just grab necessary sources and
17 place them to /usr/portage/distfiles (this is where they end up anyways). If
18 you have a few computers and don't want to duplicate all that just nfs-export
19 this directory (or the whole portage or even /usr, depending on what you have
20 in mind).
21
22 So in short, yes it is definitely possible and actually even easier than
23 with other distributions. If they would only parallelize source fetching and
24 compilation..., but this is on TODO list I beleive.
25
26 George