From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: About reducing or even removing stable tree for some arches
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 03:11:30
1 Pacho Ramos posted on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:34:50 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > The current policy of maintainers dropping keywords after 90 days is
4 > simply not applied because it leads up to that maintainer needing to
5 > kill himself that keyword and ALL the reverse deps keywords and, then,
6 > all that effort should probably be replaced by making the opposite, I
7 > mean, reducing the stable tree of that arches to a minimum and moving
8 > all the other packages to testing. The main advantage of this is that it
9 > needs maybe more effort in one round but it solves the problem for the
10 > future. On the other hand trying to kill keywords of a package *and all
11 > its reverse deps* requires a lot of work every time the problem appears.
12
13 Perhaps my non-dev status prevents me from understanding the difficulty
14 here, but... I really don't see the problem.
15
16 1) I don't believe the 90-day policy was /supposed/ to be particularly
17 easy. It was supposed to be a pressure relief valve, to release pressure
18 only if it built up beyond a certain level, such that both archs and
19 package-devs could still live with the situation by keeping the pressure
20 from going off the scale at either location.
21
22 As a pressure reliever, what you defined as a bug I'd rather define as a
23 feature. If the situation gets bad enough and the pressure high enough,
24 there's an approved method to relieve it, but that method itself isn't
25 entirely pain-free, so it doesn't tend to be used until the pain of not
26 using it is worse than the pain of using it, which, I'd argue, is
27 functioning as intended.
28
29 2) The very requirement of having to kill ALL the reverse-deps seems to
30 me to already lessen the pressure necessary to tip the balance the next
31 time, since either it's not the problem its made out to be if it's only a
32 handful of packages, or within a few cycles of doing this, there will be
33 dramatically fewer packages keyworded in the first place to worry about,
34 and thus dramatically fewer packages to have to dekeyword this time
35 around.
36
37 Yes, the first time's going to be hell. And the second time could easily
38 be 90-95% as bad, particularly if the two packages are in separate areas
39 and there's little overlap. But the tenth? By then, the number of
40 packages still keyworded in the first place should be down enough to make
41 a difference. And the 20th? By then, things should be much more
42 reasonable.
45 So you're suggesting a flag day and volunteering to do most of the work.
46 I won't argue with that as I don't have a dog in this fight. But it
47 seems to me, by the time you do even say five existing 90-day-
48 dekeywording-policy actions, you'll either have something already looking
49 a lot more like the goal you outline above than the current state and
50 will be well on your way, or if that DIDN'T dekeyword enough packages to
51 already be easier, then by definition there's only a handful of such
52 dependencies in the first place.
53
54 Either way, I simply don't see the problem, certainly so when comparing
55 the work of just doing it under the existing policy, to fighting the
56 political war necessary to change it -- and even assuming a win, ending
57 up dekeywording pretty much the same set of packages as you'd have done
58 with a few rounds under the existing policy anyway.
59
60 Again, not that I disagree. As I said, no dog in this fight and I might
61 actually benefit by the developer time then freed up to work on fights I
62 do have a dog in. But I expect this question will come up in some form
63 in any case, and by answering it now, it'll already be dealt with.
64
65 Plus, I'm simply curious, as there's evidently an angle I'm blind to, and
66 now being aware of that blindness, it's disturbing enough to me that I
67 want to be rid of it, thus the question. =:^)
72 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman