From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: stuart@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] auto updating untouched config files
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 21:52:22
1 On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 11:00, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > On Monday 03 May 2004 06:00, John Nilsson wrote:
3 > > Doesn't all this sound like a problem solved(sort of) by:
4 > > SCCM, RCS, CVS, Subversion, GNU Arch, Monotone, Aegis, Bitkeeper, CVSNT,
5 > > OpenCM, Darcs, Vesta, other... (list gatherd from
6 > > http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/scm.html).
7 > >
8 > > Why on earth implement an other one?
9 > >
10 > > -John
11 >
12 > John,
13 >
14 > I don't see how any of those tools will address the requirement of having a
15 > tool that will automatically replace CONFIG_PROTECTed files that have not
16 > been modified since they were installed.
17 >
18 > Best regards,
19 > Stu
20
21 Think of /etc as a working copy and the set of packaged files as the
22 repository, etc-update would just be a front to resolve update
23 conflicts.
24
25 I must admit I don't know all of those tools, but subversion seems to
26 handle the problem rather well.
27
28 -John