From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-osx] Package testing -- Automated initiative
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 23:11:48
1 On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 09:00:19AM -0500, Kito wrote:
2 > Adding -dev to CC: in case someone has any meaningful input or has
3 > already tackled this problem...
4 We do already have an application capable of doing tinderboxing for
5 packages. It's one of the abilities of Catalyst.
6
7 So all you would need to do is hook up your queue/control system to
8 call Catalyst for actually doing the build env. setup and actual build.
9
10 I've been playing with Catalyst's tinderbox myself recently, running
11 multiple instances on a 128-node x86 cluster (1/node). There are one or
12 two things I'd like to change in Catalyst, as they currently make it
13 slightly dangerous for your system. If for some reason an ebuild goes
14 wrong, the bind mounts allow it access into your core system, namely
15 /dev and $DISTDIR and it really hurts to have a bunch of /dev erased on
16 a box that you don't have quick physical access to (I toasted a few
17 cluster nodes due to a bug in some scripts this way, but luckily I could
18 force a remote reinstall).
19
20 > >Queues
21 > >------
22 [snip]
23 I'm fully up with this idea.
24
25 > >CVS Producer
26 > >------------
27 How about using the gentoo-cvs commits mailing list?
28
29 > >Consumer (testing process)
31 Catalyst's tinderbox goes here. Combining it with a package cache, you
32 can easily test just what you need.
35 Robin Hugh Johnson
36 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
37 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
38 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
39 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85