From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving functionality out of portage and into the tree
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:16:38
1 On Friday 30 July 2004 03:41, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > Unless someone can give me a valid reason why this functionality must
3 > be bundled, then no, that isn't the problem- the problem is that they
4 > -are- bundled with portage.
5
6 Not from me.
7
8 > These utilites are specific to our tree, and should be correct for the
9 > tree *at that moment*. I really am not fond of the notion that, while
10 > the ebuild may be correct, the portage version's bundled utilities are
11 > broke so the ebuild misbehaves.
12
13 This is the only valid reason I've heard. However, what about the other way?
14 An ebuild is installed and goes to be unmerged but the support functions used
15 during prerm have changed slightly causing it to break. I realize this is an
16 issue anyway, but one that hasn't cropped up yet.
17
18 Code-wise, there are two possibilities. One is to bundle the support functions
19 into the saved environment and the other is to not. Not bundling allows the
20 possibility above. Bundling leads to the possibility that an ebuild is
21 installed with a broken function (that is only used during prerm) that has no
22 way of being fixed.
23
24 The fix? I'd say to make sure the behaviour of every function is well
25 documented and ensuring that the behaviour doesn't change in general. I
26 presonally think that any extension would normally warrant a new function so
27 that ebuilds know exactly what they're getting. However, even if that's not
28 adopted, having the documentation means that any extension can be better
29 audited.
30
31 Regards,
32 Jason Stubbs