From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fwd: latex packages achemso, revtex
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:01:08
1 Hi,
2
3 > > you did it the correct way but that's what happens when you're alone in a
4 > > team and are moving without reliable internet connection then emails &
5 > > other stuff start to pile up :/
6 >
7 > I'm sorry, I did not want to be pushy in any way... :|
8
9 No problem at all; had I set my .away you could have had a way to know :)
12 [...]
13 > > (and even better: join tex herd if you're interested in doing such bumps)
14 >
15 > Done, also tex@g.o. (Gimme more Bugzilla mails...) :)
16
17 Thanks
18
19 > > > * I'd like to move dev-tex/revtex-4.1_p2 and its dependency dev-
20 > > > tex/natbib-8.31a from the sci overlay
21 > > > Would it be OK with you if I do any of this?
22 > >
23 > > yes though if its in texlive I usually want to remove them from the
24 > > texlive's bundle
25 >
26 > I see the separate ebuilds more as a temporary workaround for the few
27 > really needing bleeding edge... and will happily remove them again when
28 > texlive-2011 is out. The natbib ebuild might even become obsolete with
29 > texlive-2010 already, have not checked yet. I think most people will be
30 > happy with the texlive version, so we should keep it for simplicity.
31
32 It's really a matter of compromise: TeX world isn't fast moving thus yearly
33 releases such as texlive are perfectly fine and avoid a huge mess in
34 dependencies (you can see texlive as a downstream for CTAN to some extent). If
35 you have a package moving faster and want to maintain it then it's better to
36 do so since you remove one level of indirection.
37 Our system of texmf-site overlay allows to have such temporary solutions by
38 installing duplicate files and using the ones in texmf-site with higher
39 priority but it's not perfectly "clean" as some files are installed twice and
40 only one version is used in any case.
41 If the temporary solution has to stay for 1 year then IMHO it's better to make
42 the switch and unbundle it from texlive and not considering it as a temporary
43 solution (esp. now that TeX Live 2010 has been released but is not in the
44 portage tree); if it will become unneeded with TeX Live 2010 then if I were
45 you I'd wait until I have the time to make it into the portage tree :)
46
47 May I ask which texlive package natbib and revtex belong to ?
48
49 Regards,
50
51 A.