From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Genkernel hacking
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 08:31:59
1 Hi Guys,
2
3 While wanting to build a bunch of kernels to test out in a mostly
4 automated fashion, I hacked up some improvements to genkernel for the
5 task.
6
7 I've put up the modified version here.
8 http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/~robbat2/genkernel
9
10 A diff against the current genkernel installed by the ebuild is almost
11 the size of the existing program, so I decided posting just the modified
12 program was probably more effective.
13
14 Change listing:
15 - Help page!
16 - Use getopt for option handling (all options now have long and short
17 versions)
18 - Specify which kernel version you want to build
19 - Specify where to find the kernel sources to build (for those of us
20 that build on ramdisks ;-)
21 - options to call packaging and bootsplash stuff (the base functionality
22 was there before, but hidden).
23 - Fixed packaging code some to work better.
24 - "--skip-mrproper" to skip mrproper when you only want to make a few
25 tweaks to the kernel and not rebuild all of it.
26
27 Example usage:
28 I have my custom modified kernel source for linux-2.4.22-ac4 in
29 /tmp/ramdisk/linux.custom
30 EXTRAVERSION in the makefile is -ac4+robbat2
31 To build it:
32 genkernel -d /tmp/ramdisk/linux.custom --kernel-version 2.4.22-ac4+robbat2
33 (I already have a customized config in /etc/kernels/config-2.4.22-ac4+robbat2)
34 now I forgot something and it doesn't build right
35 genkernel --kernel-directory /tmp/ramdisk/linux.custom -k 2.4.22-ac4+robbat2 --config
36 now to continue building:
37 genkernel -d /tmp/ramdisk/linux.custom -k 2.4.22-ac4+robbat2 -s
38
39 I haven't tested the bootsplash functionality, as some of that code
40 didn't make any sense. Appending to a raw initrd image and then not
41 compressing it???
42
43 Hopefully somebody will find these changes useful in the meantime.
46 Robin Hugh Johnson
47 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
48 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
49 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
50 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85