From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for March
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 02:46:02
1 Raúl Porcel wrote:
2 >
3 > IIRC you are from the blubb era, i'm i right? Blubb did a really god job
4 > with amd64, and in fact amd64 started 'slacking' since blubb left.
5 > Unfortunately that doesn't work anymore, in a lot of bugs i've seen an
6 > AT of yours posting his results, when i was going to do my arches. So i
7 > was more faster even that i have no ATs.
10 Yup - blubb is certainly missed. I can't point any fingers myself - I
11 try to find and stabilize packages as I'm able to, but I can only spend
12 so much time on gentoo. Every little bit helps though, even if I'm not
13 high on the commits/day rankings.
14
15 There are amd64 ATs out there - which brings up the other thread
16 floating around. We need better ways to flag bugs that have been
17 touched by an AT - for all I know there are a dozen open bugs that an AT
18 has tested, but if there aren't any keywords or anything else I can
19 query for, I can't get them stabilized.
22 > Indeed, but on x86 we don't assume it either :) I don't understand how
23 > you having so many users, have manpower problems, you have two channels
24 > on IRC, x86 only has one and nobody says anything.
25 > It's just a though, i'm not blaming anyone.
28 My observation is that there are heavy-lifters who do a disproportionate
29 share of the work. I'm certainly not one of them, and I really do
30 appreciate these folks. If a heavy-lifter gives attention to something,
31 it will shine. However, Gentoo is a volunteer-driven organization, and
32 you can't order heavy-lifters to work on something in particular - it is
33 their passion for what they choose to work on that makes them so
34 effective. I guess what we need is processes that enable lots of small
35 contributors to make a big difference - the bazzar approach.
36
37 Another reply on this thread pointed out that it would be nice to be
38 able to tell what packages people are using - if we could tell what is
39 being used it would help guide stabilization without sacrificing testing
40 (our users would be de-facto ATs without realizing it). The power of a
41 thousand people doing very little can add up - many users would gladly
42 sign up to have their packages monitored if it would help the gentoo cause.
45 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list