From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dropping static libs support from cryptsetup and lvm2
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 12:06:56
1 Steven J. Long posted on Fri, 02 Aug 2013 12:31:08 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > As Rich said, lvm doesn't link outside rootfs so it's not an issue: you
4 > only really need an initramfs if rootfs is on lvm/encrypted/raid, or you
5 > need udev to get through localmount.
6
7 Or, unfortunately, for root on mult-device btrfs[1], since the usual
8 kernel commandline rootflags=device=/dev/whatever doesn't seem to work
9 for some reason.[2]
10
11 Tho hopefully that bug will be fixed before the "experimental" label is
12 stripped from btrfs...
13
14 ---
15 [1] Yes, as appropriate for running on an experimental fs, I have
16 backups, tho the dual-device raid1 mode I'm using is /reasonably/ stable,
17 now. I switched to btrfs when I upgraded to ssd, both for the ssd
18 support and for checksummed data/metadata with a second copy to retrieve
19 from if the first fails the checksum.
20
21 [2] I tried with a btrfs raid1 and could mount either device with root=
22 and rootflags=degraded, so it was definitely parsing rootflags, but no
23 way was it taking rootflags=device= to mount them undegraded without a
24 userspace btrfs device scan first, and that requires an initr*. Maybe it
25 was a problem with the kernel splitting at the second = instead of the
26 first, I don't know, but it definitely wasn't working. So now I'm
27 running dracut with several of its default modules stripped via
28 INSTALL_MASK including the one pulling in kmod since I'm running
29 monolithic kernel and have kmod package.provided, and USE=btrfs plus
30 adding it to the module config.
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman