From: "Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo)" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Modular X and hardened
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 00:20:05
1 On Sat, 13 May 2006 11:32:49 +0200
2 Simon Strandman <simon.strandman@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo) skrev:
5 > > On Fri, 12 May 2006 10:49:22 +0200
6 > > Simon Strandman <simon.strandman@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> I installed modular X on my server running hardened.
9 > >
10 > > X on a server? If it's just for the libs that's ok, but running
11 > > the X server itself is risky on a server as it's huge and suid so
12 > > flaws can easily gain root access. One such was discovered just
13 > > the other week
14 > > (http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2006-1526).
15 > I have my reasons. I need to run VNC on it.
16
17 ok; just remember that by building vanilla you lose PIE and SSP as well
18 (either of which can reduce the impact of buffer overflow exploits
19 from privilege escalation to denial-of-service or less). For anyone
20 else considering it, hardened advise sticking with 6.8 for now.
23 Kevin F. Quinn