From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 14:40:38
1 On Wed, 17 May 2006 09:58:41 -0400 Chris Gianelloni
2 <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 | Paludis supports multiple repositories correctly, right? So why is
4 | it a big deal to provide the profiles in their own
5 | overlay/repository? I haven't heard a good reason why the profiles
6 | need to be in the portage tree. I'm not saying I am against it being
7 | added so much as I haven't heard a single compelling reason for doing
8 | it, and quite a few compelling reasons why *not* to do it, mainly
9 | support-related.
10
11 We'd have to extend the parent file to support something like:
12
13 $(location_of_repository_named gentoo)/profiles/default-linux/etc
14
15 since a) profiles are per-repository and b) we don't want to copy the
16 whole Gentoo profile structure.
17
18 Now, whilst this change could be useful, it's going to cause a huge
19 incompatibility with Portage... So unless someone can come up with a
20 solution that won't...
23 Ciaran McCreesh
24 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list