From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Issues with mplayer-0.18pre ebuild
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 09:52:41
1 On Sat, 22 Sep 2001 16:46:32 +0200 Karl Trygve Kalleberg
2 <karltk@×××××××.no> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 12:31:08PM +0200, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
5 >
6 > > This depends on what userbase we have/want to have. Most packages
7 > you
8 > > install you want to check the config before you are using them. So
9 > I
10 > > don't think we have to mention everytime there are a
11 > configure-file
12 > > available in a package.
13 > >
14 > > Most of our current users are advanced Linux users and doesn't
15 > need to
16 > > be told about the possibility to configure packages.
17 >
18 > I'm not advocating "dumbing down" our users; but I do think it only
19 > fair
20 > to make a notice to the user that "this package does, contrary to
21 > what one
22 > would expect, does not work without manual configuration".
23 >
24 > I find it repulsive that I have to manually configure my video
25 > player to
26 > get it to run at all. I have not problems accepting that I will have
28 > manually tweak it to obtain optimal performance. But the point of
29 > using a
30 > distro (any kind of distro) in the first place was to avoid doing
31 > all the
32 > strictly unnecessary details. I would expect the packagers to set up
33 > reasonable defaults in the configuration files, whenever that is
34 > possible.
35 >
36 > In this specific case, it seems to be very possible, since what I
37 > did to
38 > get mplayer to run was simply unpack the codecs.conf.gz file into
39 > .mplayer/codecs.conf of the user that should run mplayer, and it all
40 > worked okay.
43 I would have to agree whole-heartedly. I do not believe that gentoo
44 have undertaken all the effort required to setup this wonderful distro
45 with the intent of having it remain a distro that can only be
46 installed by senior linux administrators and gurus. It would require
47 relatively little effort to to add a post-install configuration
48 document to any package under the emerge/ebuild system that requires
49 manual configuration. Initially this could be just a link to the
50 appropriate authoritative documentation for the package, but
51 eventually the documentation should include instructions that can be
52 easily understood by most users.
56 Collins Richey
57 Denver Area
58 gentoo_rc6 xfce+sylpheed